- Marinate the chicken: Clean and pat-dry the chicken thighs and trim off any excess fat. Cut into bite-sized pieces and add to medium sized bowl, followed by the low sodium light soy sauce, Shao Xing rice wine, corn starch, and sesame oil. Mix well to combine, then set aside.
- Make the stir-fry sauce: Combine the corn starch, freshly cracked black pepper, white sugar, chili oil (if using), sesame oil, low sodium light soy sauce, Shao Xing rice wine, oyster sauce, spicy black bean sauce, gochujang, sriracha, and water in a small measuring cup (for easier pouring) or bowl. Mix well until thoroughly combined, then set aside.
- Prepare the fresh ingredients: Chop the yellow onion, spring onions (be sure to separate the white and green parts, red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, ginger, and fresh red chilies as indicated in the ‘Ingredients’ section. Destem the dried red chilies and set aside.
For the Chicken with Spicy Black Bean Sauce:
- Fry the dried red chilies: Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large wok or heavy bottomed deep frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the dried red chilies and sauté for 30-40 seconds, until they start to crisp up and darken slightly. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Then transfer to a small bowl and set aside. (Pro-tip: For a spicier dish, snip the chilies using kitchen shears into 2-3 pieces each. The seeds that become exposed will add more heat into the stir-fry.)
- Cook the chicken: Add another tablespoon of oil to the wok and heat over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the marinated chicken and immediately spread out the pieces in the wok. Allow to sear for 1 minute without touching, then stir-fry for another minute until the chicken has cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a clean bowl. Wipe out the wok with a paper towel and set back on the stovetop. (Note: Depending on your wok size, you many need to cook the chicken in two batches in order to not overcrowd the wok. Overcrowding will result in the chicken steaming and becoming mushy.)
- Stir-fry the onion and aromatics: Heat the remainder 1.5 tablespoons of oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the yellow onion, spring onion white parts and stir-fry for a 30-40 seconds until slightly softened. Add the garlic, ginger, and fresh red chilies and stir-fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers and dried red chilies: Add the red and yellow bell peppers and the dried red chilies, toss to combine.
- Add the chicken and sauce: Add the chicken along with any juices in the bowl, and pour the stir-fry sauce on top. Stir-fry continuously for 1-2 minutes, until everything is well coated in the sauce it starts to thicken.
- Toss through spring onion: Stir in the spring onion green parts, then switch off the heat.
- To Serve: Transfer to a serving bowl/dish and garnish with more chopped spring onion. Serve immediately with warm steamed rice.