To Make Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
- Rinse and scrub the sweet potatoes, then pat-dry with paper towels. Use a sharp knife or fork to pierce them all around, then wrap each potato in a damp paper towel and microwave for 10-12 minutes on high or until tender. (Alternatively, you can pierce them all around and bake them in the oven at 200°C/400°F for 50- 60 minutes, or boil in a pot of water for about 30 minutes.)
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, halve the potatoes using a shark knife and scoop out the flesh with a spoon into a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher (or ricer) to mash the potatoes. Then add the egg, ground cinnamon, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and ½ cup of flour. Start kneading to combine and gradually add the remaining ½ cup of flour until a dough forms. (Note: If the dough is too tough, sprinkle with a bit of water and continue kneading until a semi-soft dough forms – it shouldn’t be too soft and sticky, or too tough.) Roll the dough into a ball.
- Divide the ball into two parts, then dust your work surface with 1/8 cup of flour. Grab one of the parts and roll into a long thin rope. Then dust the work surface with the remaining 1/8 cup of flour if needed and repeat with the other part of the dough. Use a knife to cut the rope into ¾ to 1-inch pieces. Then run each piece along the tines of the back of a fork to give the gnocchi pieces a corkscrew-like design.
- To freeze: If not using immediately, transfer the gnocchi pieces onto a tray and freeze until solid – about an hour. Transfer the gnocchi pieces to a freezer friendly bag and freeze for up to two months.
- Refrigerate: Alternatively, transfer the gnocchi pieces to an airtight container in layers with sheets of parchment paper in between of each layer. Store in the fridge for two to three days.
To Cook Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
- Heat a pot salted water until boiling. Add the gnocchi pieces and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until they float to the top. (You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pot.) Drain into a colander and run water over them to prevent them from cooking further.
- Toss in your choice of sauce with any herbs, veggies, and/or protein you prefer!