Kebab Shop Garlic Sauce
This Kebab Shop Garlic Sauce is easy to make with just 7 ingredients in two easy steps, and tastes just like the one at your favorite kebab shop!
- Author: Lavina
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3 Garlic cloves – peeled
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise (full-fat works best)
- 2 TBLS Plain Greek Style Yogurt (or plain yogurt)
- 2 TSP freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 TBLS Extra Virgin OIive Oil (or olive oil)
- ½ TSP Za’atar Spice Blend (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/8 TSP (a small sprinkle) Dried Oregano Flakes, more or less to taste
- Smash the garlic: Using a mortar and pestle, smash the garlic cloves into a smooth paste.
- Make the sauce: Combine the smashed garlic paste, mayonnaise, Greek style yogurt, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, za’atar, and dried oregano flakes in a small bowl. Mix until evenly combined. Use in kebabs, salads, pizzas, sandwiches, burgers, as a dip, etc.
- Storing: Store in a sealed airtight container in the fridge and consume within 5-7 days.
- Mortar & pestle: Use a mini blender to pulse the garlic into a paste if you don’t own a mortar and pestle. Alternatively, crush the garlic with the flat side of your knife, and then use the back of the knife to smash it into a paste.
- Za’atar: This is a middle eastern spice blend that’s made with sumac, dried thyme, sesame seeds, and other spices and herbs. There are regional variations, but the one I use is made with sesame seeds, sumac, dried oregano, ground cumin, salt, ground coriander, and dried marjoram. You can find za’atar in the spices and seasonings section in a large well-stocked supermarket, at Mediterranean and Middle Eastern grocery stores, or purchase it online. Double check that wheat is not included in the ingredients list before buying if you are gluten intolerant.
- To make garlic milder: If you prefer this sauce to have a milder garlic flavor without the garlic bite, you can either blanch or microwave the cloves first.
- Blanch: Place the peeled cloves in a bowl with warm water from a kettle for 5 minutes, then pat-dry and let cool before smashing into a paste.
- Microwave: Place the peeled cloves in a small bowl and microwave on high for 25-30 seconds. Let cool completely before smashing into a paste.
- Roasting garlic: I don’t recommend roasting the garlic for the sauce because it will make the garlic sweeter.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 132.5mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 9.2mg
Keywords: kebab shop garlic sauce, doner kebab garlic sauce, kebab garlic sauce