- Prepare the ingredients: Cut/chop the sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, fresh red chilies, tomato and coriander as specified in the ‘ingredients’ section. If using canned black beans, rinse and drain. Measure out the sweet corn kernels and water (or unsalted chicken broth if using).
For the Mexican Chicken, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Skillet:
- Sauté the aromatics: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and garlic and sauté for a minute until starting to soften. Add the red chilies and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Cook the chicken: Add the ground chicken and season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon ground cumin. Cook for 3-4 minutes, breaking the clumps up until the meat is just cooked.
- Add the veggies and seasonings: Add the sweet potato, black beans, sweet corn kernels, tomato, double concentrated tomato paste, remaining ½ teaspoon each of kosher salt and ground cumin, ground black pepper, smoked paprika, ground cayenne and water. Mix well to combine.
- Simmer: Cover and simmer on low for 13-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. If there is still excess water in the pan, turn the heat up to medium-high and simmer most of it off while gently mixing.
- Stir through coriander: Stir through the chopped coriander and switch off the heat.
- To Serve: Divide evenly onto plates or in meal prep containers. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing, sliced avocado, more chopped coriander and shredded sharp cheddar cheese if desired.