- Marinate the chicken: Clean and trim off any excess fat from the chicken thighs. Add them to a medium bowl, followed by the peri peri sauce, kosher salt, ground black pepper, ground turmeric, ground cayenne, ground cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika and dried oregano flakes. Mix well to coat and set aside.
- Prepare the fresh ingredients: Chop the red onion, red bell pepper, garlic and chilies as indicated in the ‘ingredients’ section.
For the Peri Peri Chicken and Rice:
- Cook the chicken: Spray a deep medium nonstick skillet (26cm/10.5-inch) with cooking oil spray and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes, until cooked through and slightly charred. Use a digital kitchen thermometer to pierce the thickest part and ensure that the internal temperature has reached 75°C/160°F. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside. Scrape off and discard and burnt marinade bits from the pan and return to the stovetop.
- Sauté the veggies and aromatics: Spray the skillet with cooking oil spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the red onion, red bell pepper, garlic and red chilies. Sauté for 30-40 seconds until the red onion and bell pepper start to soften and the garlic and chilies are fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, seasonings and rice: Add the double concentrated tomato paste, kosher salt, ground black pepper, ground cayenne, ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander, crushed red pepper flakes dried oregano flakes and the brown rice. Mix well to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in water and simmer: Pour in the water and stir to combine. Once it comes to a boil, immediately reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 7 minutes, then uncover and stir in the green peas. Cover and simmer for 28-30 minutes until the rice is tender and there is no excess liquid in the pan. Switch off the heat allow to rest for 5 minutes with the lid still on.
- To Serve: Fluff the rice with a fork and divide evenly onto plates or to meal prep containers. Top evenly with the chicken and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve with a lime or lemon wedge for squeezing if desired.