- Marinate the pork: Thinly slice the pork collar meat into strips. Add to a bowl, followed by the low sodium light soy sauce, Shao Xing rice wine, potato starch (or corn starch), and sesame oil. Mix well to combine. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Make the sauce: Whisk together the low sodium light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Shao Xing rice wine, oyster sauce, white sugar, sesame oil, pure chili oil (if using), and kosher salt in a small measuring cup (for easier pouring) or bowl until combined well. Set aside.
- Prepare the fresh ingredients: Chop/prepare the garlic, fresh red chilies, spring onion (separate the white and light green parts from the dark green parts), mushrooms, Chinese cabbage, choy sum, carrot, and snow peas as indicated in the ‘ingredients’ section and set aside.
For the Shanghai Style Fried Noodles:
- Prepare the noodles: Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the noodles to the pot. Use tongs to grab onto the noodle cakes and gently loosen them up until the strands have separated and are tender – about 1 minute. Drain into a colander and run cold water on top to prevent sticking. Set aside. (See note 3 if using fresh or dried noodles.)
- Cook the pork: Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large wok over high heat. Once hot, add the marinated pork and immediately spread out the pieces in the wok. Allow to sear for a minute, then stir-fry and allow to sear for another 30 seconds until almost fully cooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a clean bowl. Remove and discard any crispy bits from the oil in the wok.
- Sauté the mushrooms: Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil to the wok and heat over high heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms and sauté for 30 seconds until starting to soften.
- Stir-fry the aromatics: Add the garlic, fresh red chilies, and spring onion white and light green parts and stir-fry for 20 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir-fry the carrots and snow peas. Add the carrots and snow peas and toss for 20 seconds to combine.
- Add the pork, noodles and sauce: Add the pork and toss briefly to combine. Then add the noodles and pour the sauce on top. Stir-fry and mix until everything is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Add the cabbage and greens: Add the cabbage, choy sum, and spring onion dark green parts and sprinkle ground white pepper to taste on top. Stir-fry continuously using a scooping motion until the veggies are slightly wilted but still have a little crunch to them. Switch off the heat.
- To Serve: Divide evenly into plates/bowls. Serve immediately while hot, and with Chinese chili oil on the side if desired.