- Marinate the chicken: Slice the chicken into thin bite-sized pieces. Add to a medium bowl, followed by the ground white pepper, fine sea salt, corn starch, fish sauce and light soy sauce. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Make the sauce: In a small measuring cup (for easier pouring) or a bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, light soy sauce, fish sauce and ZeroSugar until thoroughly combined.
- Prepare the fresh ingredients: Roughly chop the garlic, red and green chilies. Using a mortar and pestle, pound into a rough paste to release their oils and set aside (note 6). Slice the yellow onion, finely chop the spring onion (separate the white and light green parts from the dark green parts), and cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters. Crack the egg into a small bowl and lightly beat.
- Prepare the shirataki rice: Prepare the shirataki rice according to package instructions. Or for best results, rinse the rice in a fine mesh strainer to get rid of any odor, then add to a large dry (unoiled) wok or pan over medium-high heat. Sauté occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated and the rice starts to make sizzling noises and “dance”. Transfer to a clean bowl and set aside.
For the Shirataki Thai Fried Rice:
- Cook the chicken: Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick wok or deep edged frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and spread the pieces out in the wok. Allow to sear for 40 seconds, then stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the chicken is just cooked. Transfer to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the aromatics: Add the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil to the wok and heat over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion and spring onion white and light green parts and sauté for 20 seconds until starting to soften. Add the smashed garlic chilies paste and stir-fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. (Note: Open a window or switch on the exhaust fan as stir-frying spicy chilies in a hot wok can release smoky and pungent fumes.)
- Add the cherry tomatoes: Add the cherry tomatoes and stir-fry for 10-15 seconds to combine.
- Add the shirataki rice and sauce: Add the rice and pour the sauce on top. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, until every grain is coated with the sauce.
- Cook the egg: Push everything to the side of the wok and pour in the egg. Allow to set for 20 seconds, then scramble and toss to combine with everything else.
- Add the chicken: Add the cooked chicken and stir-fry to combine.
- Toss through the spring onion: Season with ground white pepper and add the spring onion dark green parts. Toss briefly to combine and switch off the heat.
- To Serve: Divide evenly onto plates or in bowls. Or for fancier plating, fill a bowl with the fried rice and flatten the top with the back of a spoon. Tip onto a plate and repeat for the remaining serving. Serve with cucumber slices, prik nam pla (chopped chilies mixed with fish sauce) and a small spring onion stalk if desired.