- Prepare the ingredients: Chop the red onion, garlic, and fresh red chilies (or jalapeños). Drain the cans of black beans and corn in two separate fine mesh strainers and rinse. Use a box grater to grate the sharp cheddar and Pepper Jack cheeses.
For the Spicy Chicken Enchilada Pasta:
- Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta in a pot (or use the same large deep pan you’ll use to cook the rest of the dish) of boiling salted water for 2 minutes less than the time indicated on the package for al-dente pasta. Drain and run cold water on top to halt the cooking process and prevent sticking.
- Preheat oven: Preheat broiler on high (or the oven grill setting).
- Sauté the aromatics: Heat the unsalted butter and olive oil in a large deep sauté pan or ovenproof deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted and is frothing, add the red onion and garlic. Sauté for a minute until softened and fragrant. Add the red chilies (or jalapeños) and sauté for 30 seconds to combine.
- Cook the chicken: Add the ground chicken and sprinkle the taco seasoning on top. Cook for 2 minutes, breaking up the clumps with your spatula, until just cooked.
- Build the sauce: Add the enchilada sauce, canned fire roasted diced tomatoes, canned chopped tomatoes, canned corn and black beans. Mix well to combine. Season with the kosher salt, black pepper, ground cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano flakes, and smoked paprika. Stir until combined well.
- Mix in the cheeses: Add half of the sharp cheddar and half of the Pepper Jack cheese. Mix until fully melted.
- Stir in the sour cream: Add the sour cream and mix until just combined. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the pasta: Stir in the pasta until combined well. Transfer to a 9×13-inch ovenproof baking dish and sprinkle the remaining sharp cheddar and Pepper Jack cheeses evenly on top. (See note 5.)
- Broil: Place the dish in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is bubbling. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- To Serve: Garnish with chopped spring onion and coriander. Serve immediately with any of your favorite toppings!