- Prepare the fresh ingredients: Chop the spring onion (separating the white & light green parts from the dark green parts), ginger, garlic, fresh red chilies as indicated in the ‘Ingredients’ section.
- Make the spicy dan dan sauce: Mix together the sesame paste and warm water in a small measuring cup (or bowl) until the paste has broken down. Then stir in the peanut butter, low sodium light soy sauce, Shao Xing rice wine, chinkiang vinegar, and Sichuan pepper chili oil until combined well. Set aside.
For the Spicy Ground Pork:
- Cook the spicy ground pork: Place a medium-sized dry skillet or wok over medium high-heat. Once hot, add the ground pork and cook for 2 minutes, breaking up the lumps with your spatula, until no longer pink. (Note: If your pork is very lean, add a little oil to the wok before you start cooking. If it’s quite fatty and has released a lot of grease, scoop out and discard some of it before adding any seasonings.) Add ½ tablespoon of low sodium light soy sauce, ½ tablespoon Sichuan pepper chili oil, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until the pork starts to crisp up and has browned. Stir in 1 tablespoon mustard tuber and cook for 30 seconds until combined well, then switch off the heat and set aside.
For the Spicy Dan Dan Soup:
- Make the Spicy Dan Dan Soup: Heat ½ tablespoon peanut oil, 1 tablespoon peppercorn chili oil, 1-2 teaspoons chili oil, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a medium sized saucepot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the spring onion white and light green parts, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the red chilies and sauté for 30-40 seconds until softened and combined. Pour in the sauce you made earlier and stir until combined well with the aromatics. Then pour in the chicken broth and ½ cup of water and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Uncover and stir in the white sugar and 1 tablespoon of mustard tuber. Simmer for another minute, then switch off the heat.
To Assemble Noodle Bowls:
- Cook the noodles: While the soup is simmering, cook the noodles according to package instruction in a separate pot of boiling water. Drain and run cold water over the noodles to help get rid of excess starch and stop the cooking process. Divide evenly into bowls.
- Divide the pork: Spoon the spicy ground pork evenly on top of the noodles in the bowls.
- Cook the wontons: Add water to the pot again and bring to a boil. Add the wontons and cook according to package instructions. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the wontons into the noodle bowls.
- To Serve: Ladle the spicy dan dan soup evenly over the noodle bowls and garnish with chopped spring onion dark green parts. Serve immediately and with peanuts mixed with Sichuan pepper chili oil on the side if desired.