Ingredient Notes, Cook’s Tips, and FAQs
- Greek Yogurt: I haven’t provided the weight measurement for the Greek yogurt due to variations across different brands. Start with 1.5 cups, and you can add a little more if the dough is too dry. Make sure to use Greek yogurt and not Greek style yogurt. The latter is looser and waterier and will cause the dough to become too sticky.
- Flour: You can use gluten-free flour if needed (I recommend Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour), or wholewheat flour (you may need to use more Greek yogurt as it’s dryer). If using a self-rising flour, omit the baking powder and fine sea salt as it will already have it incorporated.
- Seal the bombs properly. Take the time seal the bombs properly. Otherwise, they may burst during baking and the cream cheese will spill out. Don’t worry if they do though as they’ll still be attached to the ball, and taste toasty and delicious!
- Can I make this vegetarian or vegan? Use vegetarian/vegan fillings for the bagel bombs. If making this vegan, use vegan cream cheese and brush the tops with water instead of egg wash to help the toppings stick.
- How to store bagel bombs? Wrap each bagel bomb in cling wrap, then place in a sealed airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, remove the cling wrap and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave on high for 25 seconds, then allow to sit for a minute in the microwave. Remove the paper towel and then enjoy!
- How to freeze bagel bombs: Allow the bagel bombs to cool completely (45 minutes to 1 hour), then wrap each bagel bomb in aluminum foil. Place in a sealed airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat from frozen, remove the foil from the bagel bomb and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave on high for 90 seconds, then allow to sit for a minute in the microwave. Remove the paper towel and then enjoy!
- Nutrition information is approximate. It does not take into account the toppings of choice used, and is provided in this card below for the spring onion (scallion) cream cheese bagel bombs. For the ham and cream cheese bagel bombs, the nutrition information is as follows: Serving Size: 1 bagel bomb Calories: 183 Total Fat: 7.4g Saturated Fat: 3.8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2.9g Cholesterol: 23.4mg Sodium: 308mg Total Carbohydrate: 20.9g Dietary Fiber: 0.7g Sugar: 1.7g Protein: 8.2g.
- See post above for more ideas for filling and toppings variations.