- Prepare the ingredients: Clean and trim off the excess fat from the chicken thighs, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Chop/slice the shallots, garlic, red and green Bird’s Eye chilies, Prik Kee Nu green chilies, large red chilies, red bell pepper, and baby corn as indicated in the ‘Ingredients’ section. Finely shave the coconut sugar with a knife, destem and mince the makrut lime leaves into a powder, and wash and pat-dry the Thai Sweet Basil Leaves.
For the Thai Panang Chicken Curry:
- Sauté aromatics: Heat the canola oil and chili oil in a large wok or deep skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the red and green Bird’s Eye chilies and Prik Kee Nu green chilies. Sauté for 30 seconds to combine.
- Add the curry paste & chicken: Add the Panang curry paste and sauté for 1-2 minutes to break it down and combine with everything else. Then add the chicken and red bell pepper. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink and everything is evenly coated in the curry paste.
- Build the curry: Pour in half of the coconut milk (250ml) and add the finely minced makrut lime leaves. Stir continuously until evenly combined, then simmer for a 30 seconds. Pour in the rest of the coconut milk, the water, and 110ml of the coconut cream. Stir to combine. Add the baby corn and sliced large red chilies, and stir in the peanut butter, coconut sugar, fish sauce, and Thai chili powder until combined well. Simmer uncovered for 5-8 minutes, until the chicken is tender and has cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings: Give the curry a stir, then taste and adjust seasonings by stirring in more Panang curry paste, fish sauce, coconut sugar, or Thai chili powder if needed.
- Stir through basil: Switch off the heat and stir through the Thai sweet basil leaves.
- To Serve: Transfer to a serving dish/bowl. Drizzle the remainder 20ml of coconut cream on top, and garnish with finely sliced red chili and makrut lime leaves if desired. Serve immediately with warm steamed rice.