- Prepare the ingredients: Chop the red onion, garlic, green chilies, red chilies, bell pepper(s), chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and coriander as indicated in the ‘ingredients’ section.
- Combine masa harina with water: Whisk together the masa harina and water in a measuring cup until evenly combined.
For the Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup:
- Sauté veggies and aromatics: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven (or stockpot) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the red onion and bell pepper(s) and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, green chilies, and red chilies and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in masa harina: Stir in the masa harina and water mixture until evenly combined.
- Build the soup: Pour in the low sodium chicken broth, red enchilada sauce, canned crushed fire roasted tomatoes, and canned chopped tomatoes. Add the black beans, sweet corn kernels, cooked leftover shredded chicken, tomato paste, chopped chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, garlic powder, ground cayenne, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and dried oregano flakes. Reduce the heat to medium and give everything a good stir. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the cheese, coriander, and lime juice: Stir in the smoked cheddar cheese until fully melted and integrated in the soup. Then stir in the chopped fresh coriander and lime juice, and switch off the heat.
- To Serve: Ladle the soup evenly into bowls, and top with chopped coriander, freshly grated smoked or sharp cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack cheese), diced avocado, corn tortilla chips/strips, sour cream, pico de gallo, lime wedges for squeezing, or any of your other favorite toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!