- Prepare the ingredients: Clean and trim off the excess fat from the chicken thigh fillets and slice into bite-sized pieces. Chop/slice the red onion, garlic, red chilies, prik kee nu green chilies (if using), potatoes, carrots, and baby corn as indicated in the ‘Ingredients’ section. Finely shave the coconut sugar with a knife and set aside.
For the Massaman Chicken Curry:
- Sauté the onion and aromatics: Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large nonstick wok (or large pot) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for a minute until softened. Add the fresh red chilies and prik kee nu green chilies and sauté to combine for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the veggies: Add the potatoes, carrots and baby corn. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the curry paste and chicken. Add the Massaman curry paste and stir-fry for a minute until it starts to breaks down. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes, until the chicken is mostly no longer pink.
- Build the curry: Pour in the coconut milk and water. Stir until the curry paste has fully broken down. Stir in the coconut sugar, garam masala, tamarind paste, fish sauce and Thai chili powder (if using). Lower the heat the medium and cover. Simmer for 20-24 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Adjust seasonings: Uncover and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings by stirring in more sugar, tamarind paste and fish sauce if needed. Stir in half of the roasted peanuts and switch off the heat.
- To Serve: Transfer to a serving bowl/dish. Garnish with chopped coriander, the remainder roasted peanuts, and finely sliced large red chili (if using). Serve immediately with warm steamed rice.