BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza
This Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza is quick & easy to make, and loaded with sweet, spicy, tangy, and smoky flavors, and guaranteed to please any crowd! Perfect for parties, gatherings, and Game Day!
Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza is what’s happening folks.
I’ve been tinkering around with this recipe for a while now, and have been enjoying it for lunch at least thrice a week this past month. And nope, I’m not (and neither is my family!) in the slightest bit tired of it because it is PIZZA! ❤️ Or actually, it’s a wannabe pizza that has all the right things going for it!
It’s completely low maintenance, low effort, and super quick to make. And most importantly, it hits you with all the best flavors and textures!
Here’s what we have going on:
- Smoky, spicy, sweet, and with just the right amount of tang tender BBQ chicken pieces.
- A spicy-sweet, creamy and smoky BBQ mayo pizza base sauce.
- Fluffy, soft, and pillowy pita bread. It becomes golden and crispy after baking, and has the perfect amount of CRUNCH when you bite into it!
- An all-star combination of cheeses with mozzarella, parmesan, and sharp cheddar!
- …and plenty of freshly chopped coriander and spring onion!
Who’s ready for this marvelous Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza?
ABOUT SPICY BBQ CHICKEN PITA PIZZA
It’s a simple concept, pita bread pizza, I mean. But it’s on another level of deliciousness, and it will elevate your day, put a spring in your walk, and put a goofy smile on your face for accomplishing so much yumminess with so little effort.
Also, and obviously, it has cheese!!! Not a whole ton, but enough and enough types of cheese to keep it all interesting for the tongue and palate.
Guys, this Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza is on the same cooking level as my Chicken Tikka Naanza (Naan Pizza!). You make some tasty chicken, then make a quick sauce, use store-bought pita bread, and simply add your favorite toppings and cheese! Then just bake for a couple of minutes – like the time it takes you to call your Mom to inform her about the quick and easy tasty masterpiece in your oven that you created.
All the while knowing that she was the original introducer of pita bread pizzas in your after-school-snack life…Not to mention she taught you about the concept of cooking chicken quickly in a pressure cooker! 😉
This delicious Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza is perfect for an easy lunch, lazy dinner, and as a Game Day snack. Actually, it’s perfect for anytime of the day, and whenever you’re in need of a quick pizza fix! And it is time I finally let you in on the magical secrets.
Let’s break it down and make some!
SPICY BBQ CHICKEN PITA PIZZA INGREDIENTS
To make this quick & easy Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza, you’ll need just a handful of ingredients.
- Chicken: I used boneless and skinless chicken breasts. But feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you like.
- BBQ Sauce: You can use homemade or your favorite store-bought BBQ sauce. I used the latter because, you know, I’m all about quick and easy. 😉
- Spices & Seasonings: Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, smoked paprika (I like hot, but you can use sweet smoked paprika if you prefer), and some ground cayenne to taste.
- Olive Oil: Or any other cooking oil you prefer to use to cook the chicken.
- BBQ Mayo Sauce: A quick and easy sauce made with mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, smoked paprika, ground cayenne, and some crushed red chili pepper flakes to taste.
- Pita Bread: You can use white, whole wheat, or gluten-free pita bread.
- Cheese: A super tasty and winning combination of mozzarella, Parmesan, and sharp cheddar!
- Pizza toppings: I went with red onion slices and kept things simple, but feel free to add whatever toppings you like!
- Garnish: Some freshly chopped coriander and spring onion for a bit of green and herby prettiness!
HOW TO MAKE SPICY BBQ CHICKEN PITA PIZZA
To make this easy Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza, there are three main steps.
1. MAKE THE SPICY BBQ CHICKEN
First, season the chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper. Then, heat a bit of olive oil in a pressure cooker, place the chicken inside, and briefly sear. Add the BBQ sauce, smoked paprika, and ground cayenne to taste. Then flip the chicken breasts and give it all a quick stir combine the spices and seasonings with the sauce. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and Cook for 10 minutes over medium-low (about 2-3 whistles). Then switch off the heat.
Allow the pressure to release naturally (this will take about 8-10 minutes). Then uncover the lid and use tongs to transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Allow the chicken to rest for a couple of minutes, then dice it into bite-sized cubes. Lastly, return the chicken pieces back to the sauce and stir to combine.
That’s it and your Spicy BBQ Chicken is good to go!
Note: Alternatively, you can use leftover baked or pan-seared diced chicken, or even rotisserie chicken from the store. Just mix it into the sauce with the spices and seasonings, and you’re good to go! You’ll need about 2 to 2.5 cups of cooked chicken.
I have also included instructions for cooking the Spicy BBQ Chicken in an Instant Pot in the Notes section of the recipe card below, if that’s more up your alley. 👌
2. MAKE THE BBQ MAYO SAUCE
To make the BBQ Mayo base sauce for the pita pizza, simply dump all the ingredients in a bowl: the BBQ sauce, mayo, smoked paprika, ground cayenne, and crushed red pepper chili flakes. Mix with a spoon until evenly combined.
And you’re done with the BBQ Mayo Sauce!
3. ASSEMBLE THE BBQ CHICKEN PITA PIZZA
First, preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F, and line a baking tray with aluminum foil (or nonstick cooking paper). Next, brush a bit of olive oil on the foil and around the edges of the pita bread (this helps to get the edges nice and golden, and crispy!), and set the pitas on the foil.
Next, smother the BBQ mayo sauce on the pita bread and top with some cheese. I use a combo of part skimmed mozzarella and parmesan cheese that comes in a bag called “Italian Blend” by Tillamook, and some freshly grated sharp cheddar.
Then add the Spicy BBQ chicken pieces and your favorite pizza toppings. (I kept it simple and used red onion slices only, but feel free to add whatever toppings you like! Or you can simply leave out the onion if it’s not your thing.)
Then, top with some more Italian Blend and cheddar cheese, and bake for 10-11 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly, and the pita crust is nice and crispy!
Last but not least, sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander and spring onion, slice the pita pizza into quarters, and enjoy!
Voila! Presto! That’s really just all that’s to it, and it’s now time to inhale some mouthwateringly yummy, hot outta the oven Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza! 🤗
Full ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
CAN I MAKE THIS GLUTEN-FREE?
Yes, you certainly can! Just ensure that you use gluten-free pita bread, and double check your cheeses are GF certified. Most cheeses that are widely available are GF, but as always, I recommend double-checking the labels on them if you are making this for anyone with specific dietary restrictions.
Also, do make sure to use a gluten-free BBQ sauce. McCormicks Grill Mates Chilli and Pepper BBQ Sauce is gluten-free, and I highly recommend it!
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME?
You can make the Spicy BBQ Chicken and BBQ Mayo Sauce up to 2-3 days in advance. Then all you need to do on the day of serving is assemble the pita pizza with your favorite toppings, cheese, and garnishes!
STORING AND LEFTOVERS
- Spicy BBQ Chicken: The cooked Spicy BBQ Chicken pieces will last in your fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container. But please don’t feel restricted to only using it in this Spicy BBQ Pita Pizza. You can also use it in sandwiches, wraps, or top your salads with it for lunch this week! Ditto for the BBQ mayo sauce. 😉
- BBQ Mayo Sauce: If you aren’t using all of the sauce immediately, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
MORE GAME DAY SNACKS & APPETIZERS
Looking for more Game Day snacks and appetizers for this season? Below are my tried and true all-time favorites!
- Chicken Tikka Naanza (Naan Pizza!)
- Chicken Tikka Nachos
- Garlicky Black Pepper & Turmeric Chicken Drumettes
- Easy Spicy Thai Shrimp Cakes
- Feel free to check out the entire Party Food & Snacks recipe collection.
And if you’re looking for sweet snacks to pass around, check out these chocolate treats!
- Spicy Chocolate Bark with Almonds & Candied Ginger
- Dark and White Chocolate Bark with Mixed Fruits & Nuts
If you make this recipe, leave a comment and review it below with a star rating! Tag @thatspicychick on Instagram and hashtag it #thatspicychick. I wanna see!! 🤗
If you like the recipe, please share it around. Your support means the world to me. 🤗
BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza
This Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza is quick & easy to make, loaded with sweet, spicy, tangy, and smoky flavors, and guaranteed to please any crowd! Perfect for parties, gatherings, and Game Day!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 7–8 Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizzas 1x
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Pressure Cooker and Bake
- Cuisine: American/Italian
For the Spicy BBQ Chicken:
- 2 Chicken Breasts (about 400 grams), boneless, skinless – cleaned and pat-dried
- 3/4 – 1 cup BBQ Sauce (homemade or store bought) – I used McCormick Grill Mates Chilli and Pepper BBQ Sauce)
- 1 TSP Kosher Salt, to taste
- ½ TSP freshly cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1.5 TSP Smoked Paprika (Hot)
- 1.5 TSP ground Cayenne, to taste
- 1.5 TBLS Olive Oil (or any other cooking oil you like)
For the BBQ Mayo Sauce:
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ TSP Smoked Paprika (Hot)
- 1 TSP ground Cayenne, to taste
- 1 TSP Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes, to taste
For Assembling the Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza:
- 7–8 Pita Breads
- BBQ Mayo Sauce
- 2.5 – 3 cups Italian Blend Cheese (I use Tillamook Farmstyle Cut Shredded Italian Blend Cheese – which is a mixture of shredded low moisture part skim mozzarella and parmesan cheese)
- 1.75 –2 cups freshly grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I highly recommend Tillamook)
- Spicy BBQ Chicken pieces
- 1 small Red Onion – thinly sliced
- Optional Toppings/Garnishes: sliced banana peppers, freshly chopped coriander, chopped spring onion, and/or any of your favorite pizza toppings!
For the Spicy BBQ Chicken:
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker over medium high-heat. Once hot, add the chicken breasts, followed by the BBQ sauce, smoked paprika, and ground cayenne to taste. Then flip the chicken breasts and stir the sauce to mix up all the spices and seasonings.
- Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and turn down the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes (about 2 to 3 whistles), then switch off the heat. Allow the pressure to release naturally (this will take around 8-10 minutes), then remove the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so, then cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Return the diced chicken back to the sauce in the pressure cooker and stir to combine.
- Transfer to an airtight container and use within 3-5 days.
Note: Alternatively, you can use leftover baked or pan-seared diced chicken, or even rotisserie chicken. Just mix it into the sauce with the spices and seasonings. You’ll need about 2 to 2.5 cups of cooked chicken.
See Notes section below for Instant Pot cooking instructions.
For the Spicy BBQ Mayo Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon until evenly combined.
For Assembling the Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil (or nonstick cooking paper), and brush lightly with a little bit of oil. Brush a bit of oil under each pita bread and around the edges (for a more crispy and golden crust!), then place them on the foil/nonstick cooking paper.
- Spoon 1-1.5 TBLS of the Spicy BBQ Mayo Sauce on top of each pita bread.
- Scatter shredded Italian Blend cheese (or mozzarella) as well as cheddar cheese over the sauce.
- Add 8-10 pieces of chicken over the cheese and some red onion slices over each pita bread (use as much or as little onion slices as you like).
- Top with some more Italian Blend and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly, and the pita crust is nice and crispy.
- To Serve: Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and spring onion, cut the Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza into quarters using a sharp knife (or a pizza cutter), and serve immediately!
- Spicy BBQ Chicken Instant Pot Cooking Instructions: Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste. Select the ‘Sauté’ function on the instant pot. Once the pot displays ‘Hot’, add olive oil in the inner pot and heat for a minute. Place the chicken breasts in the pot, then add the BBQ sauce, ground cayenne, and crushed red chili pepper flakes. Then flip the chicken breasts and stir the sauce to mix up all the spices and seasonings. Select the ‘Cancel’ function and close the lid. Make sure that the vent is in ‘Sealing’ position. Select ‘Manual’ and adjust the +/- buttons to set the cook time to 10 minutes. Once cooking has completed, allow the pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid. Use tongs to transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so, then cut into bite-sized cubes. Return the diced chicken back to the sauce in the pressure cooker and stir to combine. Transfer to an airtight container and use within 3-5 days.
- To make this gluten-free: Use a gluten-free pita bread (or make your own at home), and double check that the cheeses you’re using are GF certified. Most cheeses are actually gluten-free, but it’s best to double check if you’re cooking for anyone with specific dietary restrictions. Also, be sure that the BBQ sauce you use is gluten-free.
- To make ahead: You can make the Spicy BBQ Chicken and BBQ Mayo Sauce up to 2-3 days in advance. Then all you need to do on the day of serving is assemble the pita pizza with your favorite toppings, cheese, and garnishes!
- Storing and Leftovers: The cooked Spicy BBQ Chicken pieces will last in your fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container. If you aren’t using all of the BBQ mayo sauce immediately, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Spicy BBQ Chicken Pita Pizzas
- Calories: 582
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 1392.8mg
- Fat: 30.3g
- Saturated Fat: 11.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 44.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 32.3g
- Cholesterol: 84.7mg
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary based on several factors. It should only be used as a general guideline. For more information, please see our Disclosure.
All images and text ©That Spicy Chick.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary based on several factors. It should only be used as a general guideline. For more information, please see our Disclosure.