Sichuan Dry Fried Green Beans is a classic Sichuan stir-fry dish that is easy to make, and full of salty, garlicky, sour and spicy-sweet notes. Blistered green beans, browned ground pork, fragrant aromatics, and preserved mustard greens are stir-fried in a wicked delicious and spicy Sichuan-style sauce!
Sichuan Dry Fried Green Beans, or Gan Bian Si Ji Dou (干煸四季豆) a popular Sichuan dish that’s made with scorched green beans, ground pork, garlic, and preserved mustard greens.
Different versions exist, and many restaurants will have different styles of making it. In my version of this dish, I’ve incorporated Sichuan Pixian dou ban jiang to add TONS of flavor and umami notes. I’ve also used the same killer tasty and addictive sauce that I use in my Stir-fried Garlic Scapes with Pork & Tofu dish.
The result is magnificent, super tasty, and guaranteed to have you coming back for a second helping!
While this dish is called Sichuan Dry Fried Green Beans, the beans are typically deep-fried in restaurants! 🤭 However, I’ve opted to shallow-fry the green beans in this recipe. The main benefit of shallow-frying the beans is that it allows us to produce the final stir-fry dish much quicker than the dry-frying technique.
It also is healthier than deep-frying, even if not as healthy as dry-frying. However, if you prefer not to shallow-fry, you can use the dry-frying technique (which requires less oil) that I’ve described in the recipe card below. But be prepared for a lengthier cook time.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s quick and easy to make, and tastes delicious with a bowl of steamed rice!
- Shallow-frying the green beans makes this classic Sichuan dish slightly healthier than the deep-frying method that restaurants use.
- Pixian dou ban jiang adds plenty of flavor and umami notes to this bold flavored dish.
- You can customize it with your choice of protein, or make it vegetarian/vegan and/or gluten-free if needed.
- You can serve it as a main dish with some steamed rice, or as a side dish with rice and another Chinese main for a full restaurant-style meal!